Wednesday, November 21, 2012

November Adventures


Ok, this is not a haiku, but it is what I have for this month:

Larch Tree
The larch said yes,
though maybe she still
gripped her green needles of youth
that would necessarily change.
Her neon display of faith
flames amid the safety of evergreen.
These brave limbs:
the glory of the fall.

I made it to The Lake. My students have been talking about this mythical lake at the top of a mountain for the whole year. I have meant to visit it, but no one could point the direct path that would lead me there. Finally realizing my impending departure in December, one of my Class V boys offered to take me to The Lake one Saturday. This boy is quite talkative despite his limited English, is squirrelly in class, and has a penchant for break dance moves. He’s the kind of kid who has trouble stopping long enough to write his fast-paced ideas down. It was a good opportunity for me to allow him to talk and work on his English informally, just be a kid along with my kids, and discover the mysterious lake.

After class on the 3rd, I followed “Karchu” and “Pema”, as my two boys are called by everyone except teachers, up the steep slope to their families’ homes. Karchu’s house is a traditional style farmhouse with a log cut with steps to the raised door. The home was one that displayed the signs of a busy farming family: drying vegetables lining the front yard, along with a multitude of shoes, machetes, hoes, and buckets. Inside, his mother was separating butter from churned milk with her grandson surveying over her shoulder in a kabney (a wide colorful scarf wrapped below the baby’s bottom, x-ing across the carrier’s chest and tied in a knot at the front). She greeted us and handed the baby off to Karchu to finish the process of making cheese. Thus, our walk to the lake had to wait until the cheese was done. Although Karchu can be occasionally disruptive in class, he is good natured and helpful at heart, which showed as he cared for his nephew, swept the floor, and brought his mother the tools she needed to work on the cheese. This is the great thing about visiting students’ homes: you get to see who they are when they’re not showing off for their peers.

I’m glad we waited for the cheese because his mother prepared us lunch of ema datse and rice and we drank the dachu (whey) from the cheese-making. After lunch, Karchu yelled up to Pema’s house and we went to meet him higher on the hill. The boys talked non-stop about everything we saw: this rock has flags on it placed by some grandfather because it looks like a horse, these berries are edible, but those ones are not, Pema fell out of that tree over there, there are snakes here, that’s the house that burned down this year, we built a fort here once… It was hilarious, but their knowledge of their surroundings is astounding. Even more, they understand how breathtaking the place they live is. As we reached the summit, Karchu pointed to the sun and remarked on the slanting light over the surrounding mountains. Pema pointed out the circling eagle. Each time they looked out at the view, they exclaimed “miss, beautiful!”. We found soft yellow and brown feathers, remains left by a golden eagle’s feast. The boys collected them and gave them to me, telling me never to forget this place (as if I could). We took many “pictures with our eyes” as I don’t have any more film for my camera, snapping photos of the view, the eagles, each other. Over the top of the ridge, we spotted a little spot of mud surrounded by dwarf bamboo. This was the lake. Coming from Minnesota, land of 10,000 lakes, this was not a lake. The boys admitted that it was bigger during the monsoon. We poked at the mud and made shadow puppets which we “took pictures” of on the puddle of water.

We descended along the opposite side of the ridge where the boys found a cave and pretended it was their “meditation cave”, like the one from the film “Ashi Nasa” which played in our multi-purpose hall a few days earlier (at night, in the unheated building, in Dzongkha, and yes, I went). We also found a beehive, which Karchu went to investigate, then ran screaming away as he realized it was still inhabited. We ended back at Karchu’s house, just as the cows were lining up in his yard to be milked. I walked down the mountain with Karchu’s mother, who was going to the temple, and Pema, who entertained us with funny little Dzongkha songs. I opened the door to my house, wind-blown, cheeks sunburned, with feathers and rocks in my pockets. My little brother Georges would be proud.

Monday and Tuesday we got a holiday, or “chuti”, since there was a Lama visiting the Rukubji temple. At the end of the week, a blessing, or “wan” was held at Chendibji. The lama from Gangtey Goemba was holding prayers at the site of the 3 chortens by the river about 10km down the road to the east of Rukubji. After 3rd period, classes were cancelled and the children ran as fast as they could to board tractors or pile into vans and pickup trucks to make it to the blessing. I walked the road with a few students, had lunch at the hotel, and then hopped in Phurba’s truck along with Ajim Yangzom and the kids from the hotel. We arrived to a crowd of people extending the length of the football field area on which the chortens stand. A tent was erected near the largest chorten and I was led inside, linking hands in a chain with my companions. Inside the tent, about a hundred red-robed monks sat on the pine-blanketed earth in rows along with lay people in the back. I was seated behind the sisters and their nieces near the back. On a stage sat the lama, with a red fleece under his traditional robes for warmth, accompanied on the left by other monks and on the right by government officials. Monks scurried around the altar in the back fetching things for the lama at designated points while others filled baskets with blessed food to distribute to the crowd outside the tent. Though my student Tshering Lhaden and her sister Khandu did their best to explain what was happening, I didn’t really understand the significance of the prayers and accompanying actions. Everyone else knew exactly what to do and when. I guess it’s the same when people come to Catholic mass for the first time and wonder how everyone knows when to kneel, stand, sit, hold out your hands, etc. In fact, I’ve noticed that the Bhutanese brand of Buddhism is a lot like Catholicism in its iconography, ritual, and stratification of holy men. At the completion of an hour and half of prayers, the lama walked between the rows of people and touched each head with a wand (well, it might not be a wand, but I like to think it is). Following him, monks distributed “tso” (blessed food, which is usually packaged snacks and fruit), “sunkyi” (blessed brightly colored cords that you tie around your neck), holy water and holy alcohol, poured into your extended hand, and “paktso” (a dense, unbaked cake made of butter, wheat flour, alcohol, and puffed rice that ensure long life and are quite delicious). A few monks with beaded headdresses danced at the end of the procession, which exited the tent to attend to the masses outside. We collected our goodies in a scarf, chained hands again, and snaked through the crowd to find a ride back to Chazam. We passed vendors camped out to sell everything from cellphone jewelry to rice cookers to the crowd of pilgrims. A taxi Ajim Yangzom knew opened its doors for us and we squeezed in like a clown car. Back at the hotel, the girls and I shared our “tso” with the kitchen staff  while we drank milk tea and talked about the nearing exams.

The next week I finally got to play host. After numerous visits to friends teaching in other areas of Bhutan, two friends came to stay at my little house. Noorin, along with her fellow teacher Misato, from Kuruthang, and Tara from Bumthang.  Misato is a volunteer teacher from Japan who came through JICA to teach at Noorin’s school. They came under the auspices of going to the “Thrung Thrung” (black necked crane) Festival at Gangtey on Nov. 11th. Any excuse to get them to visit me. On that Saturday, Tara showed up at my school right after class. The literary club and I showed her our “renovated” library, then we left the cold, windy school for the sheltered sun-soaked respite of my front porch. After a lovely lunch cooked by the master chef and pizza baroness of Bumthang, we set off on my favorite hike in my village.

The hike winds up several hills to a spot called Palipokto, which is a hill on top of which stands the B-Mobile cellphone tower. I don’t go for the solar powered tower, rather for the exquisite view of the entire valley and surrounding mountains. All year I have watched the change of seasons through the foliage along the path. This time, the leaves and ferns spread out in reddish brown tones and the dwarf bamboo’s spikes were dusty grey. The evergreens looked drier, but still sported their deep blue green needles. The most fascinating change has been the larch trees. These are the only needle leaf trees (I think, please correct me if I’m wrong) that change color and loose their needles. The needles on their drooping spider leg branches turn blaze orange, like deer hunter jackets amid the mute browns and greens of the surrounding forest. In contrast, the oak trees are evergreen and do not seem to notice fall has come, except for the fern sweaters they wear up their trunks, which changed from yellow to red to brown before dropping to the ground, leaving the dark gnarly bark naked.

On this particular afternoon, the light was slanting, as it only can in November, through the slats between the mountains, giving the whole valley and opposite mountains a soft look as if we were in a Vermeer painting. I must admit I felt proud that Tara deemed this viewpoint one of her top in Bhutan. That’s saying something, since this country is known for its views and exquisite natural beauty.

We headed down, collected some firewood from my stack, and got the bukari nice and toasty. Soon after Noorin and Misato rolled up the dirt path in a taxi that they’d hired for the weekend. We set about getting cozy around the fire, talking and eating snacks. We prepared a meal of radish datse, rice, and eazay. The rice was a gift from Gangamaya, brought from her hometown in the southern Tsirang Dzongkhag. It was so fragrant, and is by far the best rice I have ever eaten. I had saved it for this occasion, since all food is even better when it is shared.

The house became quite warm from the bukari and the bodies, yet Misato anticipating the cooling after the fire died overnight, layered up before wrapping up in blankets in her bed. Fearing that my guests would be cold, and unaccustomed to the heat that so many people can create, I had stoked the fire constantly. When I crawled into my bed, I was sweating and could hardly fall asleep. In the morning, I made buckwheat, coconut, ginger pancakes served with Bumthang wild strawberry jam (thanks to Tara) and coffee (again, thanks to Tara). After, I led a tour of the village, up to the school, across the suspension bridge, through the archery pitch, past my students washing their uniforms, and to the renovated temple. From there, we went down the oak lined path to my house to meet our taxi for the festival.

The festival was held at Gangtey Goemba, a large and beautiful temple that overlooks the Phobjika valley. Not only is it special to people, but the black necked cranes that winter in the valley each year circle it before returning to Tibet like good Buddhists. We watched some students perform a dance and then the festival halted for a lunch break. Gangtey has one main street and not much else, so we found a tiny “hotel” where we had tea, rice, momo, and chili-chop (chickpea flour coated whole chilies that are deep fried). There were many western tourists wandering around with their guides and snapping photos. We wandered in and out of shops and examined the offerings of street vendors before deciding to visit the valley to get a better look at the cranes. The cranes keep their distance, so the best view is actually inside the crane center where you can look through a telescope. A small but precious flock, there are only about 400 birds that come to winter in the valley, the rest prefer the east, and that’s still only about 100 birds. After viewing the graceful cranes, Tara informed us of an Aman Kora located at the other end of the valley and we made the easy decision to go there for a cup of something warm as a treat. At the luxury hotel, with a bank of windows overlooking the valley and the temple on the opposite hill, we ordered chai, hot chocolate with chili, and a hot toddy, which came with complimentary cookies. It was exquisite. One of the staff came to talk with us and recognized me from the Tour of the Dragon. I had handed him water with my students as he was biking past Longtey in the 280 km race in September. After finding out my profession, he gifted my school with books donated by guests at the hotel. With warm delicious drinks in our stomachs and books in hand, we departed after taking some great pictures with the valley as background. The taxi driver took us to the junction with the main road and Tara and I said goodbye to Noorin and Misato. We ended up catching a ride on a tour bus full of Italians which got held up in a herd of yaks for a moment right after the Pelela pass. The Italians were wild with joy to see the yaks, exclaiming and pointing with childlike excitement at them.
The next morning, I made breakfast for Tara and I before donning my wool kira and heading to school. I hugged her tight, because this might be the last time I see her in Bhutan. I’ll be leaving my school on the 12th and she won’t be coming to Thimphu until after I am back in the US. I’m going to make a point to stay in good contact and I am sure I’ll see her in North America sooner than later!

As for the most recent adventure, I just came back from a spontaneous trip to Bajo town with Phurba. It started with a terrible stencil cutter that botched my annual exams and a query to my monastic friend as to when he’d be going that direction next. The answer happened to be “now”. So I ran down the hill from Gangamaya’s to throw things together to leave. We had been celebrating the last day of Dasain by eating sel roti, drinking tea, and putting tika (this time: rice flour paste with several colored powders that must be applied by matchstick, then showering the head of the receiver with marigold petals) on her son Vim’s forhead. I took a moment to decide whether to leave the gathering, but decided that readable exams were a priority. During midterm, I had to run all around the hall rewriting letters and sentences that the stencil printer hadn’t cut boldly enough for my confused students. Some students never raised their hands for this kind of correction, resulting in scores that lacked validity.  It was a headache and I was willing to pay whatever price to get the exams done well this time.  So I grabbed my toothbrush and thumb drive with the exams on it and ran back out to the road where I met what I refer to as the “Gompa Mobile”, a white Bolero truck with “Wangdigompa” emblazoned across the top of the windshield. Though the trip began with Bhutanese hit songs, I quickly realized my friend has a soft spot for English music, especially love songs. I don’t think I will forget him singing along to Taylor Swift’s “Love Story” or Kayci and Jo Jo’s “All my life” anytime soon (to be honest, we were both singing). 

Sometimes I forget that Phurba is a monk, except that he is always wearing a maroon wrap skirt and his requisite yellow and brown tops, though now he covers these with a red puffy “The North Face” knockoff down jacket. I’m fairly certain that lay people like myself have notions about what monks and nuns are like and what they do or don’t do. So when someone doesn’t embody what we thought, we try to categorize them differently rather than absorbing their uniqueness into the label they carry. So when Phurba doesn’t get up at 4 am to meditate for an hour, adores love songs, is nearly constantly on his cell phone, and is frequently on the road to and from Bajo and Thimphu on business for the Gompa, these things don’t necessarily fit into the imagined category of “Buddhist Monk in Bhutan”. But the truth is, they do. I’m by no means saying he is not a proper monk, rather that the conception I had of who monks are must expand, and it has.

So back to our exam adventure. We rolled into Bajo town at about 7:45pm and Phurba deposited me at a shop where I could print. After processing 26 (condensed!) pages, I paid the shopkeeper 260 nu and then we sped to the copy shop that would be closing at 8pm. The kind owner stayed open for me while Phurba ran errands for the Gompa. The man’s son, in Class IV, piloted some of my questions while we waited for all the copies to go through. In all, I had 272 pages, double sided. It took nearly an hour to complete the copying, but the shopkeeper was incredibly patient, gave me sweets, and even stapled all the tests by hand. In the end, he gave me a deal on the cost, allowing me to pay only 1500 nu for the job that should have cost closer to 2000 nu (~$40).

After printing, we boarded the Gompa Mobile, passed the burned Wangdue Dzong, and headed across the river to Phurba’s sister-in-law’s apartment. She works for the Punasangchuu Hydro Project, one of the major hydropower projects happening in Bhutan. She welcomed us with sweet milk tea and sel roti, then set about heating up dinner. By this time, I had eaten my fill of sel roti and “food” (which is what people call rice), and could hardly find room for the tea. Yet there’s no way around it in a Bhutanese home: you must eat. After dinner, she made up my bed in the altar room and Phurba got the couch in the sitting room. We went to bed promptly, since Phurba warned me it would be an early morning. He spoke the truth, and his alarm beeped us awake at 4:30am. We had a quick cup of tea and then fumbled our way through the alley in the still dark dawn to the Gompa Mobile. The nights get cold here now, even in the low altitude of Wangdue. I shivered in the heater-less car, but found the slowly brightening sky magical. You can see still the stars at 5am, which is the time I usually wake up in the village. I don’t usually observe them for long because I get too cold standing outside in my pajamas while I collect wood for my morning fire, so it was a treat to see them in the navy sky.

We turned off onto a rough road toward at village called Kazhi where we would collect rice from the recent harvest for Phurba’s goempa. We arrived on time, 6 am sharp, but no one was there to meet us. Phurba got on the phone, and in a half hour a man came waddling down a steep path burdened by a 50kg sack of rice on his back. Soon after, another man came down another path in the same manner. Both unloaded their sacks into the Goemba Mobile’s truck bed. I wondered if we were ready to leave, but Phurba’s acceptance of the invitation from the men to have breakfast at the house atop the hill next to us signaled to me that we weren’t leaving any time soon.

We climbed the path lined with orange trees and cows to the base of a ladder leading to the door of the house. Phurba and I sat on the kitchen floor while the “ama” (lady of the house) prepared tea, the traditional stove keeping us warm with its burning logs. When breakfast was ready, we were ushered into a sitting room and sat on the floor next to an open window overlooking the harvested rice paddies and rising sun. Breakfast was greenbean and chili datse with rice—a lot of rice. We ate with our hands while the ama asked us if it tasted good and tried to refill our heaped bowls with more rice. A little girl came out of the room across from us as we ate, her hair duck-tailed in the back from sleep. She eyed us with shy curiosity, coming closer slowly and eventually laying down a toy car, which she passed to me and Phurba alternately. We played with little Tandin while more and more villagers deposited their 50kg bags of rice into the Gompa Moblie waiting below. After another hour, Phurba told me we had to get moving. We thanked the ama for the meal, bid Tandin farewell, and descended the ladder with a new addition to our Mobile, one of the farmers who was hitching a ride with us back to Sephu (where the goempa is located).

One metric ton of rice in the bed, we rumbled down the rough road while petrol sloshed in jerry cans, which had to be moved inside the car, stinging my nostrils with the sharp scent of gasoline. I was thankful for the relative smoothness of the main road when we finally reached it. Phurba and the farmer talked, and Phurba explained me to him. Learning I was a teacher, he thanked me, telling me, “Teachers have one of the most important jobs in the world. Teachers have the ability to affect so many people, they teach a certain number of students, but those students go out and share their knowledge with countless others. It’s a chain. Not many jobs are like that”. Wow! I was so honored. I told him that farmers are incredibly important to all of us, because without farmers, there would be no teachers or other professions. I also shared that I had begun a course in farming with my boyfriend in the US, a plan to which he nodded his fatherly approval. We continued on, with Phurba and me breaking into song occasionally, until we reached the turn to Rukubji where I jumped out and waved goodbye to the laden vehicle.

Now, exams have begun. Class PP, I, and II have finished and it is Class III, IV, and V’s turn. Next week, Class VI, which is a national exam. I know my students will be grateful to have readable exams this time around. Getting them printed was worth the adventure!


And, here’s an actual haiku I wrote for having 3 weeks left in my village and having a little insomnia:

So close to the end
my mind stays awake at night
with a dying fire






1 comment: